55 Question Book-Related Survey
1. Favorite childhood book?
The Hobbit, I’ve read it at least 50 times.
2. What are you reading right now?
The Planets, a nonfiction book by Dava Sobel and X-Wing Wraith Squadron by Aaron Allston
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
Higgs Discovery: The Power of Empty Space by Lisa Randall
4. Bad book habit?
not sure… I got purple grahm stain stuff on my friends’s copy of The Perks of Being a Wallflower once… but I don’t really get books dirty often
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
6. Do you have an e-reader?
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
generally one at a time
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
that’s hard but I’m going to go with A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
I’m not sure what this means. I rarely read books that aren’t somehow connected to science or history.
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Should you maybe have asked this first? I guess it’s science fiction, historical fiction, mystery/thriller/crime, and nonfiction about science or history.
13. Can you read on the bus?
14. Favorite place to read?
curled up in an armchair
15. What is your policy on book lending?
I’m happy to lend books, but don’t do so often because my friends all have good access to libraries and some of them have ereaders.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
18. Not even with text books?
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
20. What makes you love a book?
A great, fun plot and interesting characters.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If I loved it and feel like most people haven’t read it/heard of it.
22. Favorite genre?
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
I want to read more classic novels. I’m not 100% on what that means, but stuff like Tolstoy and Kafka.
24. Favorite biography?
um um um Duchess of Death: The Unauthorized Biography of Agatha Christie by Richard Hack
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
26. Favorite cookbook?
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
I read a collection of classic American science fiction novels from the 1950s put out by the Library of America and that has helped inspire me to attempt to write my own book in that same vein.
28. Favorite reading snack?
a warm beverage, especially hot chocolate or chai latte
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
I really can’t think of one.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I don’t read critics.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I feel kind of bad because even if I didn’t like a book, surely the opinion of someone who did is just as valid? Also I rarely dislike books.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
Dune, which is kind of dumb because I’ve read longer/crazier things.
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
War and Peace, oh god
35. Favorite poet?
T. S. Elliot
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
one or two, I try to limit myself because I have a bad track record of checking out like five books and then not reading most of them
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
very often, oops
38. Favorite fictional character?
shit idk MOST OF THEM
39. Favorite fictional villain?
40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Whatever I’m reading at the time, especially if it belongs to me.
41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
Probably a few weeks while I was in college and too busy.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Jane Eyre, mainly because I was being forced to read it and not even for school
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
oh probably The Lord of the Rings, I know it has its issues but I AIN’T REALLY CARE
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
The Prisoner of Azkaban, no I’m still not over it
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
probably like $50
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
If I didn’t want to be reading it in the first place.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
keep them; I have way too many
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Avoiding like “dear god no” like 50 Shades of Grey or avoiding like “eeeeeek” like War and Peace?
52. Name a book that made you angry.
Kushiel’s Dart by Jacqueline Carey. It was a really good book, don’t get me wrong, but I was super pissed when the celibate knight had sex with the main character because ughhhhhhhhhhhh that always happens and I am so done. Also people kept making fun of him even though their nation’s founder’s “Love as thou wilt” thing doesn’t have to mean “have a lot of kinky sex” Jesus Christ guys
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
idk I expect to like them all
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
I liked Peter David’s novelization of Iron Man much less than I thought I would.
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Star Wars EU books :) :) :)